Thursday, October 18, 2007

"When I was a kid ..."

"You know," I said to my dog (my child with fur) as I popped a DVD into the machine, "when I was growing up, there was no such thing as a VCR or DVD player." My dog rolls her eyes as if to say, oh no, not this again, and not-so-silently implores me to be quiet and give her another Scooby Snack. (Yes, even my dog’s treats are TV-themed).

Oh, sure, it was the ‘70s, and there were tape recorders, and I actually DID tape several shows this way. Like the 1960’s movie "Batman" when it was shown on the 4:30 p.m. movie. But the tape is embellished with extra sound effects, such as the sounds of my Mom cooking in the kitchen (you can hear the spoon hitting the bowl as mashed potatoes are being plopped into it) and nothing heightens the sexual tension more between Miss Kitka and Bruce Wayne than a ringing telephone as she says to him, "Excuse me, I’ll slip into something more comfortable while your cocoa is warming."

But, with no VCRs, videotapes, DVDs, or DVD players, it meant waiting around a whole year for such things as "When the Grinch Stole Christmas" or "A Charlie Brown Christmas." It made these shows an annual event. Oh, sure, they still are. But, if you miss them, you can always pop in the DVD if you have it (or go rent it).

Makes me wonder what television viewing is going to be like in another 30 years. Any thoughts?

No comments: