Monday, October 15, 2007

'All in the Family': What's that line?

Forget the speculation of who shot J.R. on “Dallas.”

It was one line in a television theme song that had my family wondering.

When Archie and Edith Bunker (wonderfully played by Carroll O’Connor and Jean Stapleton) sat down at the piano, little did they know how much one line in the “All in the Family” theme song they belted out would leave my family (and I’m sure plenty of others out there) wondering.

“G…R….O….Lasomething….ran great…”

“Perhaps they’re cheering something?” I ventured from my spot on the floor close to the TV (so I could see it better, although my positioning also came in handy when the channel needed to be changed. Remember, this was before remote controls. Fortunately, there weren’t as many channels back then as there are now.)

I don’t know how long into the show it was before my father said from his chair that he had the answer: “Gee, our old LaSalle ran great.” Yeah, if you say so, Dad. This was the ‘70s, I knew what a Dodge Dart was and what a Chrysler station wagon was. LaSalle? Get outta here.

I’ve actually seen someone on a talk show ask Jean Stapleton what that line was, as well. So, I’m not alone. Although I’m probably the only one who will admit it today. Or, am I?

No comments: