Wednesday, November 7, 2007

“Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In”

OK, I’m too young to remember the original airings of “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In,” but, through the magic of television, I’ve caught reruns.

Some of my favorite parts: The end of the show where the cast pops art of doors in a wall and tell joke to each other. I would have loved to do that. But with my luck, the door would have been stuck and I’d have to share a window with Alan Sues.

And I just adore the daffy Goldie Hawn. Gotta love a giggly blonde.

One of my favorite characters was Ruth Buzzi’s hairnetted Gladys Ornphby, who was continually whacking Tyrone (played by Arte Johnson) as he cozied up to her on a park bench. Another character that deserves mention is the telephone operator, Ernestine, played by Lily Tomlin, who extolled, “One ringy-dingy…” Equally as amusing was Tomlin’s Edith Ann, a child who sat in an oversized rocking chair and proclaimed, “And that’s the truth!”

And, of course, I can’t mention “Laugh-In” without giving a nod to the catchphrase, “Sock it to me!”

In the style of Arte Johnson’s German soldier, it was all verrrrrry interesting.

Check out more on “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In” at http://www.timvp.com/laughin.html

No comments: