Friday, November 30, 2007

“A Christmas Story”

Can’t let the discussion of holiday specials go by without mentioning “A Christmas Story.”

Set in the 1940s, all little Ralph “Ralphie” Parker wants for Christmas is his two front teeth.

Naah. I’m messing with you. What he really, really, really, REALLY wants is a Red Ryder BB gun. But everyone tells the kid, wonderfully played by Peter Billingsley, no because “You’ll shoot your eye out!” (Humor not lost on me since my left eye is prosthetic. And, no, it wasn’t from a BB gun accident.)

One of my favorite parts of this special is when Ralphie’s brother goes out to play in the snow, his mother has him so heavily dressed, he cries out, “I can’t put my arms down! I can’t put my arms down!”

You can read more about “A Christmas Story” on imdb.com here:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085334/

You can check out part of “A Christmas Story” on YouTube.com here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZieW2F90Is

2 comments:

Hughes ap Williams said...

Jean Shepherd was one of my favorite writers and story-tellers. Hearing his voice narrate "A Christmas Story" (which is based perhaps loosely on his own childhood) brings back great memories.

You may enjoy the post of November 28th called "Hearing a Memory":
www.hillsboroughnjjournal.blogspot.com

Brad Wadlow said...

Thanks for reading the blog, and your comment, hughes ap williams! I appreciate it! Glad I could bring back some memories! Keep reading and posting! And be sure to tell me your favorite TV shows!