Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Sundays with Abbott & Costello

Ah, childhood. Growing up in Hicksville, Long Island, I remember Sundays being a day of building Lincoln Log houses with my Dad (when I was too young to sit still in Church), going to the deli in the Bohack’s shopping plaza, and hot pastrami sandwiches.

And, of course, the Abbott & Costello movie shown every Sunday on Channel 11, which used to be WPIX.

Admittedly, I’m not a die-hard, gotta-stay-up-until-2 a.m.-to-watch Abbott & Costello fan, but I do have a favorites: "Comin’ ‘Round the Mountain.

Margaret Hamilton guest starred as a witch that Abbott & Costello go to see for a potion. While in her lair, the witch and Lou Costello have a duel with voodoo dolls. I loved Hamilton’s portrayal of the Wicked Witch of the West in "The Wizard of Oz" (still do), so obviously, I loved Hamilton’s scene in this movie.

Check out this movie trailer for "Abbott & Costello Meet Frankenstein" on YouTube.com:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg5N9FJc__Q

Check out the classic "Who’s on First" routine here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPrm6luPmME

No comments: